Citizenship : United States, Canada
· Currently private piano studio in northern Virginia area. Teaching piano lessons, theory classes, master classes and recitals.
Faculty (1997-2002) in the Indiana University Pre-College Program.
· Teaching a large studio of pre-college piano students ranging in age from six to 17.
Repertoire selection for a variety of levels. This includes
determining the appropriate beginning
· Organization of masterclasses.
· Coordination of group recitals, and participation in an extensive rehearsal processes.
· Meeting with parents to discuss progress and future plans.
· Coordinating pedagogical objectives with other teachers in the program.
· Working with the Director to facilitate various aspects of the program.
· Large private studio of students, who ranging from beginner children to college students, and graduate students who need piano for skills within their music programs.
1995–1999 Associate Instructor of Music (Piano), Indiana University
Teaching of private students on a Secondary basis. Students
included music majors studying piano
Teaching of class piano, both to music and non-music
majors. This involved work both in electronic
The development of curricular and course materials, and the
development of appropriate grading
· Collaboration and communication with other instructors teaching different sections of the course.
Communication with and providing of feedback about student
progress to the coordinator of the
1993–1994 Teaching Assistant (Piano), University of California at Irvine
· Teaching private lessons to music majors on a Secondary basis.
· Preparing students for Keyboard Proficiency Examinations.
· Assisting with administrative aspects of the Secondary program.
1993–1994 Teaching Assistant (History), University of California at Irvine
· Participating in Departmental meetings concerning course planning.
· Assuming primary grading responsibility major course assignments.
· Serving as a counselor for students, in facilitating their progress in the course.
· Teaching reviews of class material.
Facilitating examination preparation: writing study guides,
answering student questions, assisting with
1991 Teaching Assistant (Computer Music), Memorial University
· Providing instruction for beginner interaction with Computer Music Technology.
· Meeting with students privately for technology coaching sessions.
· Assisting in the care and maintenance of MIDI laboratories.
· Participating in Departmental meetings concerning equipment needs and plans.
· Private research into technological developments appropriate for post-secondary music education.
1989–1992 Piano Instructor, Music Collection, St. John’s Canada
· Maintenance of a large private piano studio
· Working with students of all ages.
· Development of appropriate technique and repertoire from beginner to intermediate students.
· Participation in recruitment and outreach efforts.
Preparation of students
for the examinations administered nationally by the Royal Conservatory
Doctor of Music in Piano Performance and Literature
· Indiana University, (Currently ABD)
· Minor in Music History and Literature
· Minor in Music Theory
Master of Fine Arts in Piano Performance
· University of California, Irvine, May 1994
Bachelor of Arts in Piano Performance
· Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, May, 1992
· Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London (external semester, 1990)
· City University of London (external semester, 1990)
2000 Adjudicator for the Annual K.E.Y. Piano Competition
1998 Adjudicator for the Annual K.E.Y. Piano Competition
1993–1994 Coordinator, Concerto
Competitions, University of California at Irvine
1991–1992 Concert Committee,
Memorial University, Newfoundland, Canada
1990–1991 Student Music Society,
Memorial University – Vice President
1989–1990 Academic Council,
Beethoven’s Influence on Schubert
Organic Unity in Schubert’s Last Three Piano Sonatas
Prizes, Awards and Honors
1995–1999 Graduate Fellowship, Indiana University
1995–1999 Fee Scholarship, Indiana University
1993 Winner, Pasadena Community Orchestra Young Artist Competition
1993 Winner, University of California at Irvine Concerto Competition
1992 Fellowship tuition award, University of California at Irvine
1992 Regent’s Fellowship, University of California
1991 Faculty Scholarship, Memorial University, Canada
1991 Travel Grant Award, Newfoundland Arts Council
Memorial University Travel Grant Prize. External study at both the
Guildhall School of
1990 Recordings for CBC Television
1990 Selected as pianist to perform with the Atlantic String Quartet
1989 Winner, David McCurdy Memorial Bursary
1989 Recordings for CBC Television
1989 Winner, Kiwanis Senior Rose Bowl, Large Cash Prize
1988 Winner, Kiwanis Entrance Scholarship for Keyboard
Applied piano teachers include:
· John York (Professor of Piano, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London)